Thursday, October 2, 2008

Enchiladas


Enchiladas are my stand by dinner each week when I am at the grocery store and don't know what to make for the week. Which happens every week. I thought I would share the recipe because I find it very simple, and is great to do the prep ahead of time. This is for a fresh style enchiladas, not the baked, creamy, cheesy kind.


You will need:


corn tortillas,


6-8 tomatillos- 6 if they are roma tomato size,

about 1/4 of a white onion, a clove or two of garlic if you have it,


chilies- about 2-3 jalapenos or 4-5 serranos, I am using 10 dried arbol chilies because that's what we had..

beans to fill your enchiladas with, I like black. You can also use shredded chicken (rotisserie to save time) or some nice slow cooked pork.

a pinch of salt, and vegetable oil for frying

sour cream and queso fresco for topping

First you need to cook your salsa. Place all of your ingredients into a 2 quart saucepan with enough water to cover the bottom nicely. Make sure you remove tomatillo husks and wash thoroughly. When tomatillos turn a slightly olive green color and are soft, you are ready to blend. Place all the salsa ingredients into a blender, and add just enough of the cooking water to blend the salsa, about 1/4 cup or so. You can also only add a few of your chilies, and taste to see if you need to use all of the chilies you cooked. Add a pinch of salt to your salsa. Set aside in a bowl large enough to dip your tortillas in, or if you made your salsa earlier, warm in a wide saucepan.


Heat a skillet with a small amount of oil and lightly fry your tortillas. you do not want them crispy, they are done enough when they stay stiff when pushed against the side of the skillet. Fry all of your tortillas, about 4-5 per person depending on how hungry you are. In the meantime heat up whatever you will be filling your enchiladas with. When all ingredients are hot and ready, dip one tortilla into your salsa, and coat generously. Place on a plate and add filling down the center of tortilla, about 1/4 cup or so. Roll up each side of the tortilla over filling and add more salsa to the top if needed. Repeat until you have used all of your fried tortillas. Top with sour cream and crumbled queso fresco.


Note:I didn't show my plate with toppings because I love sour cream and you wouldn't be able to see my enchiladas after I added it! Hopefully I explained it simply and if anybody has questions or makes this, please let me know!

2 comments:

randi frazier anderson said...

I'm totally making enchiladas now.
Yummy!

susan said...

oh yummy!!
i need to make these. i could eat mexican every day

Related Posts with Thumbnails