Friday, December 11, 2009

Beer Cheese Soup

I had my SIL and nephew over for dinner this week, and we made up some beer cheese soup. My SIL had gotten this recipe from someone who said it was the same as they use at Chancery. The last time I tried to make beer cheese soup, it was more a grown up broccoli cheddar.. This recipe is very creamy, and leaves a nice smooth cheesy beer flavor.(Picture is from Chickenfoot, because all of the soup I made disappeared waay too fast to take a picture)
This soup is super yummy with warm soft pretzels.

6cups of water

1/2cup lager beer

1/2 cups of water

2tablespoons chicken base

1/4teaspoons pepper

1teaspoon whole leaf thyme

1teaspoon Tobasco

1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1cup diced onion

1/2cup diced celery

1/2cup diced carrot ( I used shredded carrots)

1/2cup (1stick) butter,melted

1cup flour

8ounces Velveeta

1/2cup Merkt's sharp cheddar

1/2cup whipping cream


In a large stockpot,combine water,beer,base,seasonings,onions, celery and carrots bring to boil,then reduce to simmer.Melt butter in small saucepan,then whisk in flour to roux. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes,then add to soup and simmer 10 minutes to thicken.Add cheese and cream and simmer just until cheese is melted.

2 comments:

Ark's Endeavors said...

now I want more!! Can't wait until I get a stove!!! I'm dying over here not making food or soap! hahaha

susan said...

so does it taste like the chancery's?? are the chicken broth thingys granules? i have some mushroom paste and vegetable paste. i might just try it out!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails